It’s been awhile since I’ve done an “Instagram Meals” post so it’s time for another round of food with hip photo filters I’ve been slacking on cooking this week since I had to get stitches in my finger on Sunday thanks to a run in with my immersion blender but I’ve been making it work. You’d be surprised how difficult it is to chop things (with any degree of accuracy) without the use of your index finger.
So let’s get to it:
Let’s start with dessert – I’ve been making this chocolate concoction when I have a chocolate craving but can’t (read: don’t want to) go to the store.
Fudge Freezer Chocolate Bites
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened at room temp
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup (sub whatever sweetener you like – use more or less depending on your preference)
dash of cinnamon and sea salt
splash of water (tiny amount!)
I simply mix all of the ingredients together, pop it in the freezer for about 30 minutes then promptly inhale.
I loooove this dinner. I always roast up a big cut of meat (usually beef or pork) each week so we have food for a few meals. I’ve got several crockpot recipes (like my cocoa coffee rubbed pork or my mexican chuck roast) but generally, I follow a few simple steps and change it up each time. This particular beef roast prep looked something like this:
1. Trim meat of excess hard fat & sinew (I am actually thinking of doing a series on some butchering basics – any interest?). Rub down with spice – I’m obsessed with adobo lately – and salt and pepper.
2. Sear in a hot, non non-stick (ha) skillet with bacon fat until all sides are golden.
3. Place in crockpot with some sliced onions, sliced carrots, couple sliced garlic cloves, sprig of fresh rosemary, 1 can diced tomatoes, few cups of stock (or water). Cook on high for 6 hours.
I served with it my favorite mashed cauliflower recipe from Well Fed (psst – you can get that cookbook and 70 others for $37 this week!) and some roasted green beans.
This is a typical Friday post-gym (while still at the gym, drinking cider) meal. I had a chinese food craving so before I went for my workout I whipped up some honey garlic chicken. I didn’t measure anything – I just threw everything in a skillet and it turned out great!Here is my approximate recipe:
Honey Garlic Chicken
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
2 whole carrots, sliced into rounds
2 tablespoons coconut aminos or gluten-free tamari (I generally avoid soy but tamari seems to be ok with my stomach)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground chinese five spice
1 teaspoon honey
splash of fish sauce
hefty dose of red chili flakes
1. Heat oil over medium high heat in pan. Add onion and saute for 3-5 minutes until just beginning to turn translucent. Add chicken thighs. Season with salt and pepper (easy on the salt since the aminos or tamari will be salty).
2. Once thighs have browned, add vegetables and give them a quick toss. Add remaining ingredients and let cook until sauce reduces to a glaze and chicken is cooked through – 20 minutes or so.
3. Eat with all the carbs.
That’s all I’ve got for today – like I said, I’ve been slacking on cooking actual meals. Time for more caffeine and work! Happy Friday!
P.S Thanks to Tara for featuring me over on her blog today with a bunch of incredible ladies!
P.P.S. Don’t forget about the Harvest for Health bundle sale that ends soon! Seriously, it’s an amazing deal!