Vegan (Paleo-Friendly) Pumpkin Ice Cream

Like the rest of the blog world, I’m obsessed with pumpkin-everything. One of my favorite pumpkin treats is pumpkin ice cream that a small, local shop sells every fall. I could eat a gallon of it any day but then I’d end up in a lot of stomach pain. It’s so good though, that it would be worth it.
I’m trying to really stick to not eating dairy since it makes me look six months pregnant and I feel awful for a few days but there is pumpkin ice cream calling my name.
Instead of running to the ice cream shop and stuffing my face (which WILL happen sometime this season, don’t worry), I decided to take matters into my own hands. This pumpkin ice cream is dairy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free, and best of all, it means you can have pumpkin ice cream at your disposable whenever you want. Dangerous? Maybe.

Vegan (Paleo-Friendly) Pumpkin Ice Cream
Yield: 8 servings
Inspired by: PaleOMG

2 cans full fat coconut milk
2 cups canned pumpkin
1/4 cup maple syrup or raw honey (you can omit this if you’re staying away from sugar)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice

1. Mix all ingredients together in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Refrigerate mixture until cold, at least 1 hour.
3. Churn mixture in ice cream maker, according to instructions.

Tagged: , , , , , ,

1. Jennifer (Savor) October 3, 2012 at 8:26 am Reply

First I will serve my two sick boys some soup and then some pumpkin ice cream!!

• gabbysgfree October 3, 2012 at 8:35 am Reply

Mega awesome mom points right there!

2. Kierston October 3, 2012 at 8:43 am Reply

I’ve never tried pumpkin ice cream before! Sounds good (and looks amazing!)

• gabbysgfree October 3, 2012 at 8:45 am Reply

Thanks! It’s one of my favorites – not too sweet and full of spices!

3. Ericka @ The Sweet Life October 3, 2012 at 9:37 am Reply

YOu are a miracle worker. I cannot wait to try t his!!!!!!!

4. Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl October 3, 2012 at 9:45 am Reply

Vegan and Paleo all in the same title. LOL. Pinned it 3 times – pumpkin, vegan, paleo. Sounds delicious. Love coconut. And pumpkin. Can’t wait to try it either!

• gabbysgfree October 3, 2012 at 9:47 am Reply

Haha I know- it’s kind of rare to have both in the same dish! Thank you for the pins!

5. Sarah Kay Hoffman October 3, 2012 at 11:12 am Reply

Oh this is fantastic! Looks so yum!

6. Kat October 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm Reply

Yum city! I’ve been trying to do more things with my Yonanas maker too with pumpkin etc since i don’t have an icecream maker, I could add coconut milk!

7. Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 3, 2012 at 10:35 pm Reply

I have been looking for some great paleo recipes to substitute! Thanks so much for sharing. I love pumpkin!

8. michele October 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm Reply

have you tried using low or nonfat coconut milk (or skimming off some of the fat from the full fat)? i rarely eat more than a bite of coconut milk curries or sauces because they are just so rich — but I wonder if less fat in an ice cream would destroy the texture & mouthfeel… although who are we kidding, it’s not really ice cream — the issue is whether it would taste good as a frozen dessert with less fattiness? anyone work with the low\non fat coconut?

• gabbysgfree October 9, 2012 at 6:57 pm Reply

I haven’t tried it with lowfat coconut milk – it would probably make it much more icey and less creamy since fat is really what helps all ice creams/non-dairy ice creams (especially sugar-free ones!) have a creamy consistency. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out!

9. Michele October 22, 2012 at 9:24 pm Reply

The pictures looked great…the final product…not so much. It just tasted like very cold, very bland canned pumpkin. Hate to throw it out because it made a ton, but I don’t think I can eat this.

• gabbysgfree October 23, 2012 at 5:42 am Reply

Darn, sorry you didn’t like it! Was there anything in particular that it needed – maybe more spice or additional sweetener?

• Krissy March 2, 2015 at 2:21 pm Reply

I added a little sea salt and 1 tsp of almond or vanilla extract

10. Munchings: Friendsgiving! | Curious Zoology November 14, 2012 at 6:33 pm Reply

[…] Vegan Pumpkin Ice Cream (I did add a brown sugar syrup and it ended up tasting like pumpkin pie filling) […]

11. […] Pumpkin Ice Cream […]