Vegan (Paleo-Friendly) Pumpkin Ice Cream

Like the rest of the blog world, I’m obsessed with pumpkin-everything. One of my favorite pumpkin treats is pumpkin ice cream that a small, local shop sells every fall. I could eat a gallon of it any day but then I’d end up in a lot of stomach pain. It’s so good though, that it would be worth it.
DSC_1822_01_edit
I’m trying to really stick to not eating dairy since it makes me look six months pregnant and I feel awful for a few days but there is pumpkin ice cream calling my name.
DSC_1842_edit
Instead of running to the ice cream shop and stuffing my face (which WILL happen sometime this season, don’t worry), I decided to take matters into my own hands. This pumpkin ice cream is dairy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free, and best of all, it means you can have pumpkin ice cream at your disposable whenever you want. Dangerous? Maybe.

DSC_1813edit
Vegan (Paleo-Friendly) Pumpkin Ice Cream
Yield: 8 servings
Inspired by: PaleOMG

2 cans full fat coconut milk
2 cups canned pumpkin
1/4 cup maple syrup or raw honey (you can omit this if you’re staying away from sugar)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice

1. Mix all ingredients together in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Refrigerate mixture until cold, at least 1 hour.
3. Churn mixture in ice cream maker, according to instructions.

Tagged: , , , , , ,

1. Jennifer (Savor) October 3, 2012 at 8:26 am Reply

First I will serve my two sick boys some soup and then some pumpkin ice cream!!

• gabbysgfree October 3, 2012 at 8:35 am Reply

Mega awesome mom points right there!

2. Kierston October 3, 2012 at 8:43 am Reply

I’ve never tried pumpkin ice cream before! Sounds good (and looks amazing!)

• gabbysgfree October 3, 2012 at 8:45 am Reply

Thanks! It’s one of my favorites – not too sweet and full of spices!

3. Ericka @ The Sweet Life October 3, 2012 at 9:37 am Reply

YOu are a miracle worker. I cannot wait to try t his!!!!!!!

4. Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl October 3, 2012 at 9:45 am Reply

Vegan and Paleo all in the same title. LOL. Pinned it 3 times – pumpkin, vegan, paleo. Sounds delicious. Love coconut. And pumpkin. Can’t wait to try it either!

• gabbysgfree October 3, 2012 at 9:47 am Reply

Haha I know- it’s kind of rare to have both in the same dish! Thank you for the pins!

5. Sarah Kay Hoffman October 3, 2012 at 11:12 am Reply

Oh this is fantastic! Looks so yum!

6. Kat October 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm Reply

Yum city! I’ve been trying to do more things with my Yonanas maker too with pumpkin etc since i don’t have an icecream maker, I could add coconut milk!

7. Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 3, 2012 at 10:35 pm Reply

I have been looking for some great paleo recipes to substitute! Thanks so much for sharing. I love pumpkin!

8. michele October 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm Reply

have you tried using low or nonfat coconut milk (or skimming off some of the fat from the full fat)? i rarely eat more than a bite of coconut milk curries or sauces because they are just so rich — but I wonder if less fat in an ice cream would destroy the texture & mouthfeel… although who are we kidding, it’s not really ice cream — the issue is whether it would taste good as a frozen dessert with less fattiness? anyone work with the low\non fat coconut?

• gabbysgfree October 9, 2012 at 6:57 pm Reply

I haven’t tried it with lowfat coconut milk – it would probably make it much more icey and less creamy since fat is really what helps all ice creams/non-dairy ice creams (especially sugar-free ones!) have a creamy consistency. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out!

9. Michele October 22, 2012 at 9:24 pm Reply

The pictures looked great…the final product…not so much. It just tasted like very cold, very bland canned pumpkin. Hate to throw it out because it made a ton, but I don’t think I can eat this.

• gabbysgfree October 23, 2012 at 5:42 am Reply

Darn, sorry you didn’t like it! Was there anything in particular that it needed – maybe more spice or additional sweetener?

10. Munchings: Friendsgiving! | Curious Zoology November 14, 2012 at 6:33 pm Reply

[...] Vegan Pumpkin Ice Cream (I did add a brown sugar syrup and it ended up tasting like pumpkin pie filling) [...]

11. [...] Pumpkin Ice Cream [...]