While I always aim to get most of my nutrients and vitamins from whole foods, sometimes it isn’t always possible. The vitamins and supplements I take (with the exception of ALA and a multivitamin) I use to help me get extra nutrients that I need to keep going. For example, I eat a TON of eggs – we go through about 2 dozen a week on average – yet I have chronically low vitamin D levels. I eat more kale, spinach, and leafy greens than most people I know, combined, but my calcium is low and I’ve got weak bones. Moral of the story – whole foods are the best but vitamins and supplements are important to help fill the gaps.
Here is a list of what I use on a daily basis:
- BCAAS: I use these pre-workout since I workout fasted. Occasionally, I will use intra-workout for a tough workout and post-workout if I know I’m going to be insanely sore. I’m almost out of my current brand and I’m not in love with it. Any recommendations?
- Multivitamin: A good basic one to take
- Fish Oil: The above photo pretty much sums it up.
- ALA: My nutritionist recommended this to me to help with my horrendous insulin resistance, so I’ve been taking it for a few months.
- Vitamin D: I take a HUGE dose of vitamin D everyday – if I don’t, my levels get very low, very quickly.
- Calcium: Bad knees, foot fracture, and osteopenia means I’m taking these bad boys for life.
- Protein powder: I try to use my protein powder only post-workout and occasionally in a nighttime snack. I love my Sunwarrior but it’s not cutting it for recovery so I’m hoping to try a few other recovery powders and find one I like.
It seems like a lot to remember, and it is, but it’s become so routine now that I don’t even think twice about it. Plus, if I do forget, my body can tell and reminds me that forgetting them is not a good idea. Speaking of which, it’s about time to get some breakfast and take them. Happy Wednesday – one day closer to Friday – YES!
What supplements and vitamins do you take every day?
Fellow Crossfitters, what is your favorite recovery powder?