thank you all for the birthday wishes!
What happens on stormy Friday nights when you’re tired of organizing and cleaning and without internet (still) ?
Grain-free granola happens.
I’m not a huge granola eater but once I get on a granola kick, I can’t stop (especially if there is gingerbread or pumpkin involved). Yesterday I was craving something granola-esque, only without the grains, so I whipped up a quick batch of this good stuff.
It’s a simple mix of nuts and seeds, tossed together with some almond butter and coconut oil before baking. It’s super filling and makes a great snack on its own, in some almond milk, or as a topping for just about anything.
Now, I’ve got to go make more coffee (always more coffee) and figure out a way to sneak this granola into our Saturday morning breakfast.
(All photos today are taken with the iPhone and edited using a program called snapseed.)
Yield: 3 cups
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract, optional
Drizzle of honey, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Combine all nuts, seeds, and cinnamon together in a large bowl and toss to combine.
3. In a small saucepan, heat almond butter and coconut oil together until melted.
4. Pour melted almond butter and oil over nuts and seeds and toss to combine.
5. Add salt and honey to taste.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, tossing and stirring every 7-10 minutes.
7. Let cool and then store.