It’s been a long weekend full of fun, a bit of work, and lots of delicious food. My eyelids are heavy and I’m about ready to faceplant into bed in a combination of weekend exhaustion, food coma, and dreaded anticipation of being at work at 7am tomorrow. This week is going to be a hectic one which makes me glad that I have a quart of this in my freezer.
These four words will make your day better: banana bread ice cream. These words will make your waistline happy: dairy-free, egg-free, and sugar-free. And if this doesn’t convince you that you need this ice cream in the next 24 hours, well, then there’s just no hope for you.
Really, this needs no real introduction, so I’m simply going to encourage you to freeze some bananas and make this ASAP. (P.S. sandwich between two of these cookies and you have heaven – the husband says so.)
Sugar Free Vegan Banana Bread Ice Cream
This ice cream is super thick, creamy, and all around delicious. It’s amazing that frozen bananas can produce such a decadent tasting treat.
Yields: 1 quart
4 large very ripe bananas, cut into coins & frozen overnight
1 1/2 cups vanilla soymilk
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
* ice cream machine recommended but you can simply use a food processor
Ice Cream Machine Instructions:
1. Place bananas in food processor and pulse a few times to break into smaller pieces. Process until smooth, thick, and creamy.
2. Add peanut butter and process until incorporated.
3. Add soymilk, cinnamon, and salt and process again until smooth.
4. Freeze in ice cream machine according to instructions, adding walnuts half-way through freezing time. NOTE: I cut my ice cream machine time in half because it was very, very thick – use your judgment and preference!
5. Freeze until serving.
Food Processor Instructions:
* only use 1 cup of soymilk – you can use more or less depending on your texture preference
1. Follow instructions 1-3 as directed above.
2. Add walnuts to food processor and pulse a few times.
3. Serve immediately or freeze until serving.