The Best Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s a rainy Sunday which means we need cookies.  The best chocolate chip cookies ever, to be exact.  Bold statement?  Perhaps, but wait until you taste these cookies.

On Friday, I mentioned that I was doing a little cookie experiment – which is the tastiest type of experiment, ever. If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen some instagram photos of the day-by-day results and I’m happy to report that this experiment was a huge success. So without further ado, let’s talk cookies.

DSC_0518_edit

Here was the premise of my experiment:

1. I just really wanted chocolate chip cookies – not healthy cookies, but butter-filled sugar-filled delicious cookies.

2. I wanted to take this chocolate chip cookie recipe (originally from David Leite and adapted to gfree by Gluten-free Girl) and adapt it a bit.

3.  I wanted to see if the cookies tasted noticeably different after no chilling, 24 hours of chilling, and 36 hours of chilling.

DSC_0450_edit1

After making what can only be described as a boatload of cookie dough, I quickly got to work and began the experiment.  All cookies were baked at 350F for 17-20 minutes on the same baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Ready for the results?

DSC_0462_edit

Day 1:  These cookies were baked immediately after mixing the dough. These cookies spread quite a bit (I think I may have over creamed the butter) and I baked these a little too long (about 20 minutes).  Conclusion: some of the best cookies me (and the husband) have eaten.
DSC_0039 DSC_0049

Day 2: I baked this batch for less time (about 18 minutes) – they were still crisp but had a much deeper flavor. Conclusion? These were definitely better than yesterday’s cookies – letting it sit makes a difference! Also, the husband is very happy about the abundance of cookies & cookie dough.

DSC_0296 DSC_0298

Day 3:  I baked these cookies for 17 minutes and also made them a bit bigger (about 1 1/2 Tbsp. worth of dough instead of 1 Tbsp).  These cookies were a little less crisp and had a slightly chewy center. Conclusion? These are the best cookies I’ve ever eaten. Gluten-free or gluten-filled. Period. Next time, I think I will use even more dough to get a big cookie with an extra chewy center.

DSC_0424 DSC_0434

My thoughts? Refrigerating the dough made a huge difference! I honestly was expecting the 24 hour and 36 hour cookies to be virtually identical, but they tasted very different.  Both were better than the cookies baked immediately after mixing but the 36 hour cookies were really over the top delicious. Be warned that if you make this recipe, be prepared to give lots away to friends and family – because you will want to eat them all. And I would recommend hiding the cookie dough while you wait because it’s too delicious to pass up.

P.S. The husband officially graduates culinary school tomorrow! He has been done since the beginning of the year but graduation kept getting pushed back – I’m so proud of him :)

DSC_0485_edit

The Best Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield: depends on size but I would say about 2.5-3 dozen

Adapted from: Gluten-free Girl which was adapted from David Leite

1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup potato starch
1 cup almond flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons regular sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature (yes, it’s important!)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
16 ounces chocolate – I used a mix of chocolate chips and chunks from a dark chocolate bar
sea salt or sel gris

1.  Combine all dry ingriedents (flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt) in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.

2. Cream together butter and sugars in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.  Be sure not to overcream the butter – it will cause your cookies to spread.

3.  Add eggs, one at a time, into the creamed sugars and ensure that each egg is fully incorporated between additions.  Add vanilla extract and mix.

4. Add dry ingredients to wet batter in small 1/2 cup additions, ensuring that the flour is thoroughly mixed between additions.  Scrape the sides of the mixer after each addition as well.

5. Fold in chocolate chips and chocolate chunks gently. Place dough in a bowl and cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

6. Refrigerate for 36 hours. Yes, really. It does make a difference!

7. Once ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F. Roll dough into small ping-pong sized balls and place 6 on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Give these cookies lots of room to spread and bake.

8. Bake for 15-18 minutes until edges are just golden brown.  It may take a few batches to find your magic oven time. Also, keep dough in the fridge between batches – it bakes much better when cold.

9. Remove from oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes.  Sprinkle with sea salt. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.

Tagged: , , , ,

1. Christine April 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm Reply

BEST chocolate chip cookies ever! I loved these and want more! :-)

• gabbysgfree April 23, 2012 at 7:17 am Reply

Thanks Mom! I will have to bake up some more soon.

2. Liz @ iheartvegetables April 22, 2012 at 10:36 pm Reply

Those cookies were AMAZING!!! Seriously!

• gabbysgfree April 23, 2012 at 7:16 am Reply

Thanks Liz!

3. [...] going to encourage you to freeze some bananas and make this ASAP. (P.S. sandwich between two of these cookies and you have heaven – the husband says [...]

4. Kawa z aromatem May 3, 2012 at 11:25 am Reply

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it
    is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.

I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

5. Nicole Pressey-Elev8Dezign June 3, 2012 at 8:25 pm Reply

We made baked these up today and they were delicious! Excellent recipe and great tasting too. Thank you!

• gabbysgfree June 3, 2012 at 8:59 pm Reply

Yay! So glad you enjoyed them :)

6. Chris August 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm Reply

I can not wait to bake these bad boys and try them, thank you for your awesomeness

• gabbysgfree August 30, 2012 at 5:19 am Reply

Haha! Hope you enjoy!

7. [...] 36-hour Chocolate Chip Cookies [...]

8. Chris September 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm Reply

Gabby, I stumbled upon your recipe doing a search for really good gluten free CC cookies. My wife and I not only try to stay away from gluten, but also sugar. I bake with Xylitol, which has practically the same flavor and sweetness as sugar–and is natural. My question for you is, do you think the brown sugar is an important flavor element? Cuz I’d like to substitute Xylitol for both the white and brown sugar.

• gabbysgfree September 28, 2012 at 1:43 pm Reply

You can try sub and then add a bit of molasses to help achieve the brown sugar taste – all brown sugar is is regular granulated sugar + molasses. Or you can just sub Xylitol. If you try, please let me know how they turn out!

9. Ann November 16, 2012 at 10:42 am Reply

I made these exactly according to your recipe. I just baked a pan and they spead out so much, I must be doing something wrong. Help!

• gabbysgfree November 16, 2012 at 11:00 am Reply

Oh no! Was the cookie dough chilled? It’s important to keep everything cold so that the butter doesn’t melt too quickly and cause massive spreading.

• Ann November 16, 2012 at 11:13 am Reply

Yes, the dough was thoroughly chilled.

• gabbysgfree November 16, 2012 at 11:22 am Reply

Hmm, I’m not really sure. It could be that your oven runs a little hot (I’ve had several ovens run nearly 25 degrees high!).

10. danelle December 4, 2012 at 10:20 pm Reply

no xanthum gum?

• gabbysgfree December 5, 2012 at 8:18 am Reply

No, I prefer to bake without it. You could add 1/4 teaspoon if you prefer to bake with it.

11. Celine January 25, 2013 at 11:29 pm Reply

I made these as gifts for Christmas and people loved them. I substituted coconut sugar for brown sugar and it worked really well. Any idea if I could sub out the white sugar for coconut sugar as well? I’m trying to avoid white sugar as much as possible. Thanks for the recipe!

• gabbysgfree January 27, 2013 at 10:31 am Reply

I haven’t tried it but I think it would be fine.

12. Aari March 11, 2013 at 12:06 am Reply

I’m looking for a GF choc chip cookie recipe I can freeze in chunks & bake up a few at a time. I’m thinking since this recipe improves in the fridge maybe it would freeze ok…. Ever baked later than 36 hrs?

• gabbysgfree March 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm Reply

Most cookie dough does fine in the freezer so I imagine it would be fine – I haven’t tried it though!

13. [...] The Best Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies | Gabby’s Gluten-Free – It’s a rainy Sunday which means we need cookies. The best chocolate chip cookies ever, to be exact. Bold statement? Perhaps, but wait until you taste these cookies. [...]

14. [...] The Best Gluten – Free Chocolate Chip Cookies | Gabby’s … – BEST chocolate chip cookies ever! I loved these and want more!… [...]