Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bake

It’s Monday, which means it is Meatless Monday recipe time. This week, I made a super easy breakfast featuring quinoa.  I had tons of leftover quinoa and no idea what to do with it.  I didn’t want to do the usual throw-it-in-a-stirfry routine, but I was kind of stumped. I knew I wanted something sweet so I threw a few things together, and this was the result.

DSC_0064_532edit1

I wasn’t sure how it would turn out but to my surprise, it was amazing!  The taste reminds me of French toast but it has the slight crunch of quinoa. You can make these with or without the maple syrup, depending on your sweet tooth. I personally like them without the maple syrup and a generous dollop of Sarah’s cinnamon honey peanut butter instead.  They’re a great pre-workout snack with around 145 calories, 7g of protein, 3g of fiber, and 21g of carbs per square (without the maple syrup added). ***EDIT: I calculated the initial nutrition content via caloriecounter however, when I calculated using livestrong, I got a completely different profile of 74 calories, 9 carbs, 1.5 fiber, and 4g protein without the syrup. I’m guessing the livestrong is more accurate but calculate using whatever you make it with :)

DSC_0111_535edit1

I’ve got another busy week on deck including a fun photoshoot, more recipe development, and some other fun things I will share later.  Time to get a large cup of coffee and get going!

DSC_0032_531edit1

Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bake

Yields: 12 squares

2 ½ cups cooked quinoa, cooled

4 eggs, beaten

1/3 cup vanilla soy milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 Tbsp. cinnamon

1/3 cup maple syrup (note: you can leave this out, it just won’t be very sweet)

1.    Preheat oven to 375F and place quinoa in a large mixing bowl. Line an 8×8 baking pan with lightly greased parchment.

2.    In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, soy milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until thoroughly combined.  Add maple syrup, if using and whisk.

3.    Add egg mixture to cooked and cooled quinoa.  Stir with a large spoon to combine. Pour into baking dish and spread around to ensure that it’s even.

4.    Bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden.

5.    Using parchment, remove bake from pan as soon as possible so that it doesn’t steam.

6.    Cool completely and cut into squares.  Serve with a dollop of nut butter.

Tagged: , , , , ,

1. Liz @ iheartvegetables February 13, 2012 at 9:08 pm Reply

That looks SO good! I’ve never thought of making a sweet dish with quinoa!

• gabbysgfree February 13, 2012 at 9:20 pm Reply

Thanks! I rarely make sweet quinoa dishes but they are so good. Quinoa is such a versatile grain…or seed.

2. [...] boring, so I’m going to try to step out of the box. I found this interesting recipe for cinnamon quinoa breakfast bake. I purchased a bulk bag of quinoa last month and haven’t even made a dent in it. I also want [...]

3. Laura February 17, 2012 at 11:59 am Reply

This looks really good, I wonder if it’s possible to just use egg whites, and unsweetened almond milk instead of vanilla soy milk, or maybe the vanilla unsweetened almond milk…either way with out the maple sugar this looks healthy :) Thanks for sharing.

• gabbysgfree February 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm Reply

I would think both of those substitutions should be fine. Using all egg whites instead of whole eggs just may give you a different texture. You could also use all egg whites and add a tablespoon or two of melted coconut oil to help bind them together if needed. If you try it out, please report back!

4. Tanya February 22, 2012 at 10:42 pm Reply

My first try at this recipe came out of the oven just 5 minutes ago an it’s already going fast! I substituted the maple syrup with a tablespoon of agave syrup. I like how it is only slightly sweet.

Thank you for sharing this recipe.

• gabbysgfree February 23, 2012 at 7:55 am Reply

So glad you like it!

5. trish September 1, 2012 at 3:07 pm Reply

Can this be kept for a few days?

• gabbysgfree September 1, 2012 at 3:16 pm Reply

Yes, it should keep for a couple days when refrigerated.

6. kmei September 7, 2012 at 10:49 am Reply

is it 2 1/2 cups of dry quinoa? or 2 1/2 cups cooked?

• gabbysgfree September 7, 2012 at 11:33 am Reply

Cooked!

• HappyCook November 6, 2012 at 10:52 pm Reply

Oops! Just made this recipe but used 2.5 cups uncooked quinoa. Should have read the instructions better.

7. Diana September 20, 2012 at 1:16 pm Reply

This sounds like a great recipe for morning teas at work. Can they be sliced and frozen individually? Otherwise how long do they last in the fridge?

• gabbysgfree September 21, 2012 at 6:09 am Reply

I’m not sure about freezing but they last about 5 days in the fridge!

8. Traci October 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm Reply

I’m making these tonight. Withy the additions of toasted almonds & dried cranberries and less maple syrup and some agave. Can’t wait!

• gabbysgfree October 1, 2012 at 5:25 pm Reply

Yum! Those sound like great additions!

9. Elle October 22, 2012 at 9:17 am Reply

What is the quinoa amount dry/not cooked?

10. Kathryn October 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm Reply

I would love to make these! If I can’t eat dairy, what could I sub for the eggs? Are they purely just to bind it together? If so, would applesauce work do you think? Thanks!

• gabbysgfree October 28, 2012 at 9:28 pm Reply

I’m not sure, as I haven’t tried it, but I you do, let me know how it turns out!

11. lizaanne November 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm Reply

Made this tonight with a few modifications:
    **Added a half stick of cinnamon to the cooking water for the quinoa – it added a nice scent to them while they were cooking.
    **One cup dry quinoa did not yield 2.5 cups cooked for me – so I added a heaped half cup of gluten free oats.
    **Added a half cup of chopped apple, and about a third cup of chopped pecans.
    **Since I had more volume, had to use a bigger pan.
    **Used almond milk instead of soy (friend I made them for can’t have soy)
    **They took about an hour+ to bake till the top was browned – lots of moisture with the apples in there!

Sooo —- we really liked them!!! We tried them warm, and they were really nice and chewy, and the bits of apple added little bursts of sweetness. My husband (shockingly) loved them!! Friend and I did not think they were sweet enough, so would probably add something to sweeten them up next time. She suggested eating them with some apricot preserves on top — YUM!!!

I think this is a great base for so many variations!!! I will make them again — and maybe try blueberries and almonds next time. Thanks for a great inspiration recipe! :-)

12. Cinnamon Quinoa Bake | Never Skip Dessert December 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm Reply

[...] and a cup of coffee!   Photo from Gabby’s Gluten-Free blog Cinnamon Quinoa Bake Recipe from Gabby’s Gluten-Free Makes 9-12 bars   Ingredients 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled (1 cup dry) 4 eggs, beaten 1/3 cup [...]

13. maria December 18, 2012 at 11:43 am Reply

My son is allergic to egg. Do you think I could sub out egg with pumpkin? I use that for baking muffins, etc.
    Thanks for this yummy recipe!

• gabbysgfree December 18, 2012 at 11:55 am Reply

Possibly – you may need to add a “flax egg” or another binder. Good luck!

14. Adele January 7, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reply

Hey. I just wanted to let you know that I featured this on my blog today. I would love it if you could check it out :)

Mint Stuff I’ve Seen 28

- Adele @ Mammy Made

15. Emily January 7, 2013 at 6:16 pm Reply

I just made this and it did not turn out in the sense that when the directions say to put them into squares well mine were still soft and I even put them in for twice the amount of time and turn the oven on to 425. They are not bars and are not dark like pic shown. Where did I go wrong?

• gabbysgfree January 7, 2013 at 7:03 pm Reply

Oh no! I’m not sure – it’s hard to say, maybe too much moisture?

16. Lindsay January 11, 2013 at 10:59 pm Reply

Can I make this in a loaf pan?

• gabbysgfree January 11, 2013 at 11:02 pm Reply

I would recommend keeping it in a thinner pan, it probably will not hold together well in a loaf pan.

17. [...] I am really excited about the most recent recipe I saw on Pinterest, because instead of a meal it is used in the form of a snack bar. Once I realized what was in the granola bars I was getting from the store I stopped buying them. I have gotten used to not having them in the house but I do miss them every so often, so this recipe really caught my eye. Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bake from Gabby’s Gluten Free. [...]

18. [...] Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bake Adapted from: Gabby’s Gluten Free [...]

19. [...] Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bake – Gabby’s Gluten-Free [...]

20. budget jan April 17, 2013 at 5:26 am Reply

When I made it, there was far too much moisture. It turned out like a baked custard, even though I cooked it for 15 minutes longer.

• Lacey May 7, 2013 at 3:08 pm Reply

Mine too! And mine is still in the oven! It’s been baking for about 40 minutes now!!

21. La Dolcezza April 17, 2013 at 2:46 pm Reply

Great way to use up leftover quinoa! I made this (I was almost out of eggs, so I used 2 eggs & subbed flax blended with water for the other two, used almond milk instead of soy, and subbed agave for the maple syrup), and it came out great. I have been eating it for breakfast topped with strawberries. Yummy!

22. [...] Make-ahead Breakfast. Cinnamon Quinoa Bake by Gabby’s Gluten-Free. I’m thinking this will be yummy for breakfast while working [...]

23. Bethany May 30, 2013 at 5:54 pm Reply

Yum! Thank you for this recipe. I love how fluffy it is. I used a mashed banana, some golden raisins, and nutmeg too, oh and subbed two of the eggs with whites and only used 1 Tablespoon of light maple syrup and it came out delicious. Love this recipe. So easy. Will try different variations on it too. Maybe blueberries next time or a tropical one with coconut and pineapple. A lot lower in calories than I imagined when I did it out on mfp calculator. Great breakfast or snack. Thanks so much!

24. shaina August 21, 2013 at 8:35 pm Reply

How many calories per bar with the maple syrup?

• gabbysgfree August 21, 2013 at 8:41 pm Reply

Not sure – you can use an online calorie calculator to calculate using your exact ingredients.

25. Tavia September 8, 2013 at 8:44 pm Reply

This recipe looks yummy. How do you think some homemade apple butter would taste with this bar?

26. Daina September 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm Reply

Hey,

sounds deliciuos, will try it out this weekend. Sorry for stupid question, but how big is the square You calculated calories for? :D

• gabbysgfree September 17, 2013 at 4:17 pm Reply

I just divided it into the amount of servings listed.

27. Kelly @ IdealistMom.com September 25, 2013 at 7:25 am Reply

I’ve never tried quinoa as a breakfast food before! I’m intrigued. :-) Pinning now!

28. M January 8, 2014 at 12:19 pm Reply

Since the maple syrup was an option, and I didn’t have any on hand, I opted out of the sweetener. It came out pretty well although it was very eggy tasting. I would suggest if you do opt out of the maple syrup as I did, to substitute it for something else – honey, agave, brown sugar, or what have you. Otherwise, it does seem to be missing the sweetness with the spices.

29. [...] Cinnamon Quinoa Bake [...]

30. [...] Cinnamon Quinoa Bake from Gabby’s Gluten [...]

31. Sarah March 26, 2014 at 4:12 pm Reply

I think something is wrong with the pan size used because I just made these and not only are the squares twice the height of the ones in the picture they also took well over 50 mins to cook. If I had taken them out when at 25 mins I would have had custardy quinoa!!!