Coconut Lime Roasted Chickpeas

It’s been one of those weeks that seems to crawl by at the speed of light – the days go quickly but I wake up expecting it to be Friday when the calendar says Tuesday.  I’ve been spending a lot of time at a desk due to my full-time job and the void that is photo editing so suffice it to say, my diet hasn’t been as stellar as I would like.

DSC_0046_505edit1

My workday meals are  great since I pack all of my food in advance and dinner is also good.  My downfall is the time between when I come home from work and when I eat dinner. I get stuck in a snack rut of an apple + peanut butter or edamame since I like snacks that are protein rich, quick, and require little prep. On top of that, I usually can’t decide if I want something sweet, something salty, or something savory.  Yesterday I finally found something, other than salted chocolate, that solves that problem and fits my snack requirements.

DSC_0012_503edit2

Enter roasted chickpeas. They’re not new, the blog world has been buzzing with them for awhile now.  They’re not fancy, after all, it’s just a humble legume.  But they are most definitely are amazing.  During a particular fit of indecisiveness (who am I kidding – I’m just incredibly indecisive all the time), I decided to change up my usual roasted chickpeas and give them a flavor boost.  Healthy coconut oil gives them a faint sweetness while lime juice and zest give them a bright, energizing flavor.  Give them a sprinkle of good sea salt and it’s salty, sweet, sour, crunchy bliss.

DSC_0005_502edit1
Coconut Lime Roasted Chickpeas
Yield: depends on serving size

1 cup chickpeas, patted dry
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
zest of one lime
sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 375Fand line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Using a paper towel, pat your chickpeas dry. In a medium bowl, toss chickpeas together with melted coconut oil, lime juice and lime zest. Spread evenly on your baking sheet.
3. Roast for 15-25 minutes – it’s a bit of range but I find that it really depends on your oven. Turn your baking sheet half way through and giving them a quick shake to move them around. Shake a few more times if you oven has hot spots.
4. Let cool and store in an airtight container.

Tagged: , , , , , ,

1. Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 10, 2012 at 9:52 am Reply

So…you’re bringing me some of these this weekend, right? ;)

I’ve actually never made roasted chickpeas. Like my “late to the game” experience roasting kabocha, I’m beginning to feel like this makes me a bad blogger. Coconut + lime sounds like the most interesting variation I’ve seen. Considering the addictive nature of lime Tostitos, I imagine I’d be in trouble with these….

• gabbysgfree February 10, 2012 at 9:55 am Reply

If I hadn’t eaten all of them in 2 days….I would totally bring you some :)

They definitely remind me of lime Tostitos and are just as addictive.

P.S. I still haven’t roasted kabocha…ha

2. Terese February 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm Reply

Made these last night and they turned out great! Thanks for the inspiration! (my teenage son even thought they were awesome – that’s a tough audience to impress!)

• gabbysgfree February 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm Reply

Awesome! I’m so glad you and your family liked them :)

3. Sarah February 11, 2012 at 10:42 pm Reply

these little babies look and read amazingly. been on a mega chickpea kick, so I will try this recipe out. For a tweak, give your chickpeas a spike of cayenne with lime, equally delish!

4. Sarah (2) February 17, 2012 at 11:39 am Reply

This may be a dumb question… but these look great and I want to try. I’m assuming you’re using canned chickpeas. If I start with dry, would I roast them after only soaking them or would I cook them partially or fully first?

• gabbysgfree February 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm Reply

I usually use leftover, fully cooked dried chickpeas. I let them cool completely and dry them really well before roasted. I’ve also used canned and just made sure rinse and thoroughly dry them before roasting. Hope you like them!

• Karl February 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm Reply

I have been making them from dried beans — delicious. They do need to be cooked first. I soak overnight, then simmer for 20-30 minutes, careful to stop before they over-cook and start to fall apart.

• gabbysgfree February 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm Reply

I love making them from dried beans – I think they have a better texture than the canned.

• Sarah (2) February 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm Reply

Great! I’ve got some soaking right now – I’ll try them out tomorrow.

• gabbysgfree February 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Great! Hope you like them!

5. [...] Coconut Lime Roasted Chickpeas: 4 (very good, I just don’t know what it is about roasting chickpeas, but mine never get “crispy” like I think they should! still good.. but I always expect a nice crunch and don’t get it…) [...]

6. Melissa January 8, 2013 at 10:00 pm Reply

I found this recipe through pinterest and it is FANTASTIC! I want to sit and eat the whole cans-worth!! I added a little cholula to half of mine and they are seriously delicious. I baked them for about 45 minutes….I’ll be interested to see what their texture is tomorrow (pending they last that long…)