Coconut Lime Roasted Chickpeas

It’s been one of those weeks that seems to crawl by at the speed of light – the days go quickly but I wake up expecting it to be Friday when the calendar says Tuesday.  I’ve been spending a lot of time at a desk due to my full-time job and the void that is photo editing so suffice it to say, my diet hasn’t been as stellar as I would like.

My workday meals are  great since I pack all of my food in advance and dinner is also good.  My downfall is the time between when I come home from work and when I eat dinner. I get stuck in a snack rut of an apple + peanut butter or edamame since I like snacks that are protein rich, quick, and require little prep. On top of that, I usually can’t decide if I want something sweet, something salty, or something savory.  Yesterday I finally found something, other than salted chocolate, that solves that problem and fits my snack requirements.

Enter roasted chickpeas. They’re not new, the blog world has been buzzing with them for awhile now.  They’re not fancy, after all, it’s just a humble legume.  But they are most definitely are amazing.  During a particular fit of indecisiveness (who am I kidding – I’m just incredibly indecisive all the time), I decided to change up my usual roasted chickpeas and give them a flavor boost.  Healthy coconut oil gives them a faint sweetness while lime juice and zest give them a bright, energizing flavor.  Give them a sprinkle of good sea salt and it’s salty, sweet, sour, crunchy bliss.

Coconut Lime Roasted Chickpeas
Yield: depends on serving size

1 cup chickpeas, patted dry
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
zest of one lime
sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 375Fand line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Using a paper towel, pat your chickpeas dry. In a medium bowl, toss chickpeas together with melted coconut oil, lime juice and lime zest. Spread evenly on your baking sheet.
3. Roast for 15-25 minutes – it’s a bit of range but I find that it really depends on your oven. Turn your baking sheet half way through and giving them a quick shake to move them around. Shake a few more times if you oven has hot spots.
4. Let cool and store in an airtight container.

Tagged: , , , , , ,

1. Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 10, 2012 at 9:52 am Reply

So…you’re bringing me some of these this weekend, right? 😉

I’ve actually never made roasted chickpeas. Like my “late to the game” experience roasting kabocha, I’m beginning to feel like this makes me a bad blogger. Coconut + lime sounds like the most interesting variation I’ve seen. Considering the addictive nature of lime Tostitos, I imagine I’d be in trouble with these….

• gabbysgfree February 10, 2012 at 9:55 am Reply

If I hadn’t eaten all of them in 2 days….I would totally bring you some :)

They definitely remind me of lime Tostitos and are just as addictive.

P.S. I still haven’t roasted kabocha…ha

2. Terese February 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm Reply

Made these last night and they turned out great! Thanks for the inspiration! (my teenage son even thought they were awesome – that’s a tough audience to impress!)

• gabbysgfree February 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm Reply

Awesome! I’m so glad you and your family liked them :)

3. Sarah February 11, 2012 at 10:42 pm Reply

these little babies look and read amazingly. been on a mega chickpea kick, so I will try this recipe out. For a tweak, give your chickpeas a spike of cayenne with lime, equally delish!

4. Sarah (2) February 17, 2012 at 11:39 am Reply

This may be a dumb question… but these look great and I want to try. I’m assuming you’re using canned chickpeas. If I start with dry, would I roast them after only soaking them or would I cook them partially or fully first?

• gabbysgfree February 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm Reply

I usually use leftover, fully cooked dried chickpeas. I let them cool completely and dry them really well before roasted. I’ve also used canned and just made sure rinse and thoroughly dry them before roasting. Hope you like them!

• Karl February 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm Reply

I have been making them from dried beans — delicious. They do need to be cooked first. I soak overnight, then simmer for 20-30 minutes, careful to stop before they over-cook and start to fall apart.

• gabbysgfree February 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm Reply

I love making them from dried beans – I think they have a better texture than the canned.

• Sarah (2) February 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm Reply

Great! I’ve got some soaking right now – I’ll try them out tomorrow.

• gabbysgfree February 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Great! Hope you like them!

5. […] Coconut Lime Roasted Chickpeas: 4 (very good, I just don’t know what it is about roasting chickpeas, but mine never get “crispy” like I think they should! still good.. but I always expect a nice crunch and don’t get it…) […]

6. Melissa January 8, 2013 at 10:00 pm Reply

I found this recipe through pinterest and it is FANTASTIC! I want to sit and eat the whole cans-worth!! I added a little cholula to half of mine and they are seriously delicious. I baked them for about 45 minutes….I’ll be interested to see what their texture is tomorrow (pending they last that long…)